WHY? Because....

Posted by fifik | Labels: , , , , , , , | Posted On Thursday, January 6, 2011 at 11:15 PM

As many of you who know me may already be aware, photography is not my main career. I am actually a pharmacist. And let's face it - a pharmacist is a very secure, highly-respected career. Because of this, I have been asked (on more than one occasion) WHY.... why oh why would you take up a second job... are you nuts? There are lots of other photographers around, so why bother?

Well, this post is to tell all of you just why I started doing photography in the first place. 

Let's go back a few years.... circa 2001. My first digital camera. My dad gave it to me as a graduation gift, as I was finally finishing up pharmacy school and heading into the real world. It was a Fujifilm, 1.3MP, and I'm sure terribly expensive. The quality of the prints was less than stellar. But I LOVED it. Film was great, sure, but you could see the photos on the back of the camera! How cool was that!

Then a few years passed, and along came Emma, September 2004. I wanted to capture all her little moments. But my original Fuji camera was no longer cutting it. So we sprung for a super awesome (and again very expensive) Canon digital point and shoot. Even more in love. What a fabulous camera. As I played around with it more and more, I realized how much I loved taking photos. Of course, I eventually wanted to upgrade, and along came my first SLR, the Canon Rebel XSi. All I have to say is WOW. Fantastic. I kept playing around with it and was just amazed at all the things you could do with it.

Somewhere in the middle of all this, there was some major personal turmoil. Maybe it's just because I'm getting older, but I started realizing how short and precious life truly is. People we loved and cared about were no longer with us.... sometimes without any warning.... and all we had to remember them with were photos. 
  
I think this song by Lady Antebellum is a perfect way to express that feeling:


One day, out of nowhere, I had an a-ha moment. I would love to be able to take photos for other people, photos that they would treasure for years to come. Possibly generations. Because life happens... and all we will have left to hold onto the memories are those photographs.  Sure I had a career. A great one at that. But what if?? What if I never pursued this, and when I'm old and gray I am left wondering "what would have happened if I had pursued that love of photography?".

I did not want to live with any regrets. So that's why I do this.... I live to be inspired by moments.... those moments that you will look at years down the road, and that will make you smile..... laugh.... maybe even shed a tear.   That's why. Because I love it.... and I so badly want you to be able to remember those moments of your own... and to FEEL.

Photographs. Treasures.  Works of Art.  Memories that last a lifetime. That's what your photos should be. If you grant me the privilege of capturing your memories, that is my promise to you.


Coming in a few days........ some of my favourite images, both personal and professional, from 2009 and 2010. And why they are my favourites. I can't wait to share with you! 

Thanks for reading, I know this was a long post.... and I really appreciate you taking the time to read it all. I look forward to being inspired by you and your family some day :)

Comments:

There are 5 comments for WHY? Because....

Post a Comment